Welcome Quilty Friends to Week 2 of the Renew Quilt Along!
This week we are going to begin cutting our fabrics and piecing our center blocks. The center block is honestly the easiest block in the pattern, so it is a great way to dip your toe into quilting. Remember you can join us over in the Facebook Group to get tips and support along the way. The group is encouraging and supportive and knowledgeable! The group is closed and for quilters only in order to protect the integrity of the group, so I do ask a couple questions to make sure no creepy trolling bots get in.
Throughout the Quilt Along, use #renewquilt and #jitterywings so I can find your work.
Now, let's get started with a video tutorial! Yay!
Tips for This Week!
1. Be sure to watch your hand placement on your ruler as you make long cuts. These small strips don't leave much wiggle room.
2. Label all your pieces as you go. Some pieces are exactly the same, but labeling them according to the pattern will help you keep them organized and ensure you have the right amount, especially if you are doing a scrappy version.
3. Slow down your machine. On long strips it is tempting to go fast, but the fast your go the more each little twitch or bump of the hand can mean a wavy line instead of a straight line.
4. On the long strips, turn your stitch length down to a 1.5 or 1.8. This will help limit unraveling when you cut your small pieces down in this step.
5. Triple check your stitch length. On these small strips, being off just a bit can mean the difference in your edges lining up or not. Be intentional about a consistent 1/4" seam allowance.
6. I strongly recommend pressing seams open for this quilt.
7. When you get to the step below, it is a great time to chain piece. Sew all of one side, clip and press. Then sew all of the other side.
8. Have fun!!!! Your center blocks should look like this!